In this tutorial, we will be discussing a common question that iPhone users may have, which is how to turn off SOS only in iOS 16. This feature can be useful in emergency situations, but some users may find it to be a nuisance if it keeps activating accidentally. We will walk through the steps to disable this feature so that you can have control over when it is activated.
Understanding SOS Only Mode
SOS Only mode is a feature on iOS devices that allows users to make emergency calls even if they don’t have a network connection. When enabled, your iPhone will only connect to emergency services, but it can also be frustrating if you accidentally activate it and don’t know how to turn it off. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to turn off SOS Only mode on iOS 16.
Method 1: Turning Off Airplane Mode
The simplest way to turn off SOS Only mode is by disabling Airplane Mode on your iPhone. Follow these steps:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to open the Control Center.
- Look for the airplane icon and tap it to turn off Airplane Mode.
- Wait for your device to reconnect to your network.
Once your iPhone has reconnected to your network, it will no longer be in SOS Only mode.
Method 2: Disabling Emergency SOS
If you’re unable to connect to your network, you may need to disable the Emergency SOS feature on your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap “Emergency SOS”.
- Toggle off the “Call with Side Button” and “Auto Call” features.
Disabling these features will prevent your iPhone from automatically calling emergency services when you press the side button.
Method 3: Checking Your SIM Card
If your iPhone is still stuck in SOS Only mode, it may be due to a problem with your SIM card. Here’s how you can check:
- Remove the SIM card from your iPhone.
- Reinsert the SIM card and make sure it’s properly seated.
- Restart your iPhone.
If your iPhone still can’t connect to your network, you may need to contact your carrier for further assistance.
Method 4: Updating iOS Software
If none of the above methods work, you can try updating your iOS software to the latest version as there may be a bug in the current software version which may be causing the issue. Here’s how you can update your iOS software:
- Scroll down and tap “General”.
- Tap “Software Update”.
- If a new update is available, tap “Download and Install”.
- Follow the prompts to install the update.
Once the update is installed, restart your iPhone and check if your iPhone is still in SOS Only mode.
Method 5: Resetting Your iPhone
If none of the above methods work, you can try resetting your iPhone to its factory settings. Note that this will erase all data on your iPhone, so make sure you have a backup before proceeding. Here’s how you can reset your iPhone:
- Tap “Reset”.
- Tap “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- Enter your passcode if prompted.
- Tap “Erase iPhone” to confirm.
Once your iPhone is reset, set it up as a new device and check if your iPhone is still in SOS Only mode.
FAQs for How to Turn Off SOS Only iOS 16
What is SOS Only on iOS 16 and why would I need to turn it off?
SOS Only is a feature available on iOS 16 that restricts your iPhone to making only emergency phone calls. This feature is useful when you find yourself in an emergency where you need to call for help. However, if you’re experiencing a problem with your iPhone’s cellular connectivity, you may need to turn off SOS Only to make regular calls and use data.
How do I turn off SOS Only on iOS 16?
- Open Settings on your iPhone running iOS 16.
- Tap on “Cellular”.
- Look for “SOS Only “and toggle it off.
- Wait for your iPhone to reconnect to your cellular network.
- Test your phone by making a regular phone call.
My iPhone is still stuck on SOS Only mode. What should I do?
If your iPhone is still stuck on SOS Only mode after turning off the feature, there are a few things you can try:
- Restart your iPhone by holding down the power button until the “Slide to turn off” message appears. Swipe right on the message to turn off the phone, then hold down the power button again to turn it back on.
- Check your cellular network settings to make sure that your iPhone is connected to a network that supports regular calls and data.
- Contact your cellular provider for assistance with the issue.
Can I turn off SOS Only on iOS 16 temporarily?
Yes, you can turn off SOS Only on iOS 16 temporarily by following the same steps mentioned above. When you’re done with what you need to do, toggle the feature back on to enable it again.
Are there any other ways to turn off SOS Only on iOS 16?
No, there is no other way to turn off SOS Only on iOS 16 other than the method mentioned above. The feature is a built-in function designed to help you make emergency calls when you need them, and it cannot be turned off permanently as it is an important safety feature.