When it comes to typing on your iOS device, having a comfortable keyboard size can make a significant difference in your overall typing experience. While the default keyboard size works for most people, some may find it too small or too large. Luckily, there are several ways to make the iOS keyboard bigger. In this article, we’ll explore all the available options to help you find the best one for you.
In this article, we will be discussing how to make the iOS keyboard bigger. Sometimes, the default keyboard size on your iPhone or iPad may not be suitable for your needs. Whether you have poor eyesight or simply prefer a larger keyboard, there are various options you can explore to customize the keyboard size on your iOS device. We will guide you through the steps to help you achieve a bigger and more comfortable keyboard on your iOS device.
Changing the Keyboard Size with Zoom
If you have trouble seeing the keyboard on your iOS device or you find it too small, you can enable the Zoom feature to make the keyboard bigger. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom.
- Toggle on the Zoom switch.
- Double-tap the screen with three fingers to zoom in and out.
- While zoomed in, drag with three fingers to move around the screen.
- To adjust the zoom level, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom > Zoom Region.
The Zoom feature works system-wide, so it will also make other parts of your iOS device bigger, not just the keyboard.
Changing the Keyboard Size with Display Zoom
If you have an iPhone 6 or later, you can enable the Display Zoom feature to increase the size of the keyboard and other parts of the interface. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Display Zoom.
- Choose the Zoomed option.
- Tap Set to apply the changes.
- Your device will restart to apply the changes.
The Display Zoom feature makes everything on your iOS device bigger, so you’ll see fewer items on the screen, but they’ll be easier to read and tap.
Having a comfortable keyboard size can greatly improve your typing experience on an iOS device. There are several ways to make the iOS keyboard bigger, including using the Zoom feature or Display Zoom, downloading a third-party keyboard, splitting the keyboard on an iPad, and adjusting the keyboard size and layout through Accessibility settings. Each method offers different customization options to fit your specific needs.
Changing the Keyboard Size with a Third-Party Keyboard
If you don’t like the default iOS keyboard, you can download a third-party keyboard that offers more customization options, including keyboard size. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the App Store and search for a third-party keyboard app.
- Download and install the app.
- Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards.
- Tap Add New Keyboard and select the third-party keyboard you installed.
- Tap the third-party keyboard name and toggle on Allow Full Access if you want to use all the keyboard features.
- Open an app that uses the keyboard and tap the globe icon to switch to the third-party keyboard.
- Look for the keyboard size option in the keyboard settings and adjust it to your liking.
Note that some third-party keyboards may not be compatible with all apps or may not offer keyboard size customization.
Having a comfortable keyboard size can significantly improve your typing experience on iOS devices, and there are several ways to make the keyboard bigger. You can use the Zoom and Display Zoom features, download a third-party keyboard app, split the keyboard on an iPad, or adjust the size and layout through the Accessibility settings. Each option offers different customization choices to find the best fit for your preferences and needs.
Changing the Keyboard Size with a Split Keyboard
If you have an iPad, you can split the keyboard to make it easier to type with your thumbs. Here’s how to do it:
- Open an app that uses the keyboard, such as Notes or Messages.
- Tap and hold the keyboard icon in the bottom-right corner of the keyboard.
- Choose the Split option.
- Drag the keyboard halves to your preferred position.
- Tap and hold the keyboard icon again and choose the Dock option to merge the keyboard back.
The split keyboard option only works on iPads, not iPhones.
A comfortable keyboard size can significantly improve the typing experience on an iOS device, and there are several ways to make the keyboard bigger: enabling Zoom or Display Zoom, downloading a third-party keyboard, splitting the keyboard on an iPad, and adjusting settings in Accessibility. Each method has its benefits and drawbacks, so it’s essential to experiment and find the best option for personal preferences and needs.
Changing the Keyboard Size with Accessibility Settings
If you have trouble seeing the keyboard or tapping the keys accurately, you can adjust the keyboard size and layout using the Accessibility settings. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Keyboard.
- Toggle on Full Keyboard Access if you want to use the Tab key to navigate between fields.
- Toggle on Key Feedback if you want the keyboard to give you audible feedback when you type.
- Toggle on Sticky Keys if you want to press modifier keys (such as Shift and Control) one at a time.
- Toggle on Slow Keys if you want the keyboard to ignore brief or repeated keystrokes.
- Toggle on Keyboard Size and choose from the available options, such as Small, Medium, or Large.
- Toggle on Keyboard Layout and choose from the available options, such as QWERTY, AZERTY, or Dvorak.
The Accessibility settings offer a wide range of customization options to make the keyboard easier to use for people with disabilities or impairments.
FAQs for How to Make iOS Keyboard Bigger
How can I make my iOS keyboard bigger?
Making the iOS keyboard bigger is relatively easy. You can enable the “Zoom” feature on your iPhone to increase the size of your keyboard. To do this, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom > switch on Zoom. Then, use three finger tap to zoom in and out. If you want to lock the zoom level, you can double-tap with three fingers and drag the zoom slider up or down to adjust the size of the keyboard.
Why would I want to make my iOS keyboard bigger?
Some users find that the default size of the iOS keyboard is too small, especially those with vision problems or big hands. Enlarging the keyboard can make it easier to type accurately, reduce typos, and speed up your typing on your iPhone.
Can I adjust the size of the keyboard in specific apps?
Yes, you can adjust the size of the keyboard in some apps, but not all of them. Some apps allow you to change the keyboard size in the settings. For example, in the Notes app, you can tap on Aa, then tap on the keyboard icon to open the keyboard settings, and then adjust the keyboard size by sliding the button. However, this feature is not available in all apps, depending on the developers’ customization, and there’s no universal shortcut to do it.
Will enlarging the keyboard affect other features on my iPhone?
Zooming in on the keyboard will only affect the size of the keyboard. Other features on your iPhone will not be affected, and you can still use them as usual. Although, you may need to get used to typing with a larger keyboard, but you’ll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Can I customize the keyboard size on my iPad as well?
Yes, you can customize the keyboard size on your iPad as well. The steps are similar to the iPhone. Just go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom > switch on Zoom. Then, use three finger tap to zoom in and out. You can also lock the zoom level, just like on the iPhone. The difference is that on the iPad, you can also use the Split Keyboard option to type with two hands more comfortably.
Making the iOS keyboard bigger can be a great solution if you struggle with the default keyboard size. By following these simple steps, you can enhance your typing experience on your iPhone or iPad.